Monday, September 10, 2012

Chicken Kabobs

I shared my Tzatziki (White Yogurt Sauce) recipe in a previous post. You know what goes great with it? Chicken Kabobs (Chicken Skewers, Chicken Souvlaki, etc). Here's how I make it!

Base:    6 skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
              2 zucchinis, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (smaller or bigger depending on your personal perference)
              2 yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (smaller or bigger depending on your personal perference)
              1/2 onion, cut into 1/2-inch squares (smaller or bigger depending on your personal perfernece)
Flavor: 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
              1 tsp. oregano
              1/2 tsp. ground thyme
              Salt and pepper to taste
              1 tbsp. oil
Heat:   Grill

1. Soak skewers
- Tip: submerge skewers in water for 30+ minutes to prevent skewers from burning on the grill.

2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix
- Tip: use a plastic glove so your bare hand(s) won't have to touch the raw and slimy chicken!

3. Assemble ingredients on skewers
- Have fun with it and assemble them in whatever order you desire.


4. Grill the food
- On medium-ish heat, cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Rotate, cover, and cook 3 minutes.
- Rotate, cover, and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.



Suggestion: serve with pita, bread, or rice.
Suggestion: must try with Tzatziki Sauce. Try my Tzatziki recipe here

Have extra veggies? Cook them on the side, and lightly season with salt, pepper, and oil. Optional: add same seasoning used in the chicken mixture (these extra veggies were not mixed into the chicken).


* Notes: pre-assembled chicken kabobs are prevalent at most grocery stores. They offer the convenience of not having to do the prep work yourself. I agree that it's much easier to buy them already prepared, and only have to take care of the grilling part at home. However, whenever I see the pre-assembled chicken kabobs at stores, the discoloration of the meat and veggies make me wonder how long they have been sitting in the refridgerated display cases. On top of that, I can't recall ever seeing a customer buy them, which makes me wonder how long it takes to cycle out each pre-assembled batch. Home made ensures freshness and the flexibility to choose your own flavors and ingredients. Picture 1 reflects freshness. This is a dish where I would choose to do the prep work myself and forgo convenience for freshness.

* More Notes: I like my veggies tender. For that reason, I cut them smaller and thinner in comparsion to the size of the chicken. As always, I encourage you to change any part(s) of this recipe to reflect your personal preferences. If you fancy 3 full onions for this recipe, please fulfill your tummy's desire. Just don't deviate too much-- neglecting to soak your skewers will result in very blackened or burnt skewers. Whatever you do, make sure you have fun in your kitchen!

Watch a demo of the recipe and join me in my kitchen where everything is served with love.


♥ Yen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...