Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tzatziki Sauce (White Yogurt Sauce)

Is it just me, or does anyone else think you never get enough white yogurt sauce with your Greek food order (gyros, dolmathes, etc,)? I always have this problem. Therefore, when I make my own white yogurt sauce at home, I make lots of it! I also flavor it accordingly to make it my favorite white yogurt sauce ever. Funny thing, I rarely eat yogurt (except frozen yogurt), but I LOVE white yogurt sauce!

Pros: with the Greek yogurt I used, 1 serving (1 cup) yields 23 grams protein, 25% calcium, also completely natural-- no artificial preservatives or addidtives! I do not feel guilty eating lots of this sauce; I feel good eating lots of this sauce!


Base:     2 cups Greek yogurt (or plain non-Greek yogurt, see * Notes on bottom)
Flavor: 1/2  cup diced cucumber, seeded (optional: peeled)
              1/2  cup diced tomatoes, seeded
              salt and pepper to taste
              1 tsp. cumin
              1medium-sized glove garlic, minced
              1/2 lime
Heat:    N/A (easy stuff)

1. Combine Greek yogurt, cucumber, tomatoes, and garlic in a bowl
- Stir with a spoon or spatula.

2. Season with cumin, salt, pepper, and lime
- Tip: add a little at a time and taste as you go (because I'm a citrus girl, I used almost one whole lime, but 1/2 lime or a little more is probably sufficient for the normal person).

3. Strain sauce until ready to serve (or for next day)
* Tip: if using plain yogurt, do step 4 as step 1 and let strain over night.
- Open up a coffee filter and place it inside of a medium-mouth tall glass.
- Pull the circumference of the coffee filter up until at least 1 inch is raised above the rim of the glass.
- Fold the coffee filter down to line the outside rim of the glass.
- Wrap a rubber band around 1/2 inch down from the rim of the glass to secure the coffee filter in place.
- Spoon the prepared white yogurt sauce (or plain yogurt) into the coffee filter.
* Alternate method: use a fine sieve strainer in place of a coffee filter.


Serve with meats and/or veggies
- For best results: chill and let the flavors marry for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Goes great with gyros, dolmathes, soulvakis, veggies, meat, etc.

* Notes: Greek yogurt is not available at all grocery stores, and it's usually more costly. Suggestion: use plain non-Greek yogurt. I always use plain yogurt, but this time, I brought my yogurt from Costco and Costco only had Greek yogurt (I guess it makes it easier for me to prepare)! If you are using plain yogurt, strain your yogurt before proceeding with the first step in this recipe. Refer to step 4 on how to strain the yogurt. And as always, I encourage you to adjust any part(s) of this recipe to flavor it according to your personal perferences. Just don't deviate too much-- neglecting to strain your yogurt will result in very watery white yogurt sauce... not a very appetizing image! Whatever you do, just make sure you have fun in the kitchen!

Watch my video to view a demo of this recipe. Join me in my kitchen where everything is served with love.


♥ Yen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...