Sunday, August 26, 2012

Asian Inspired Grilled Chicken (With a Hint of Coconut)

Chicken is the type of meat that my boyfriend and I purchase most frequently; chicken is the type of meat that I cook for us most often. I made this chicken dish the other day, and my boyfriend said it was the best chicken I've ever made him.


Soy sauce and brown sugar is a magical combination. I have used it many, many times to marinade chicken and pork. After marinading the meat, I love grilling them or cooking them in the oven. When I made it this particular time with the hint of coconut, it accentuated the magical soy sauce + brown sugar combination. It immediately became my boyfriend's favorite chicken recipe!

Base:   5 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
Flavor: 2.5 - 3 tbsp. soy sauce
            3 tbsp. brown sugar (not firmly packed)
            1 tsp. powdered garlic
            1 tsp. white wine vinegar
            1 tbsp. coconut oil
            3 - 4 tbsp. coconut flakes (optional)
            A pinch of salt and pepper
Heat:   Grill

1. Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, powered garlic, white wine vinegar, coconut oil, salt, and pepper together
- Tip: marinade in a large zip-lock bag to save yourself from having to wash a messy, oily, raw-meat touched bowl/plate/dish!
- Ingredients may be mixed prior to pouring into the zip-lock bag, or mixed after the fact.
- You want to mix all the ingredients together before adding the chicken to prevent the coconut oil from solidifying when it comes in contact with the cold chicken.

2. Add the chicken 
- Mix the chicken around a few times to ensure even coating.
- Let the chicken marinade for at least 3.5 hours.
- I like to first place the zip-locked package on a plate, then into the fridge.

3. Grill the chicken on medium heat
- Tip: line the rack on the grill with aluminum foil (when excessive fat from meat drips down the rack, big flames erode and the grill gets really smokey... not very pleasant when grilling on the porch AND your neighbor's porch is three feet away).
- Cook (covered) on the grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Half way through, sprinkle some coconut flakes if desired.
- Cook a few more minutes until thorough.

4. Chop, plate, and eat!
- Garnish with coconut flakes if desired.
- Tastes great with rice!

The soy sauce gives this chicken an Asian flair to it, but only to an extent. The hint of coconut is subtle, but tasteful, and not overpowering. Marinading is easy; deliberating what to use in the marinade is the tough decision. Try this simple chicken marinade and deliberate no further!

Watch my video and join me in my kitchen where everything is served with love.


♥ Yen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...