Thursday, August 30, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes

The traditional part of me always wrap each individual potato in aluminum foil whenever I make baked potatoes. I'm not sure when this technique grew out of tradition, but it seems like an obsolete practice nowadays. Well, if I can save a 12" x 8" piece of aluminum foil for each potato I bake, I am going to make baked potatoes sans aluminum foil too! And guess what? I saw no evidence of any disadvantages doing it this way. Thumbs up to saving aluminum foil! ;)

I now prefer baking potatoes without blanketing them in aluminum foil and I will get to why a little later. Before we continue, I should throw in here somewhere (for the first time after the title of the post) that this post is about twice-baked potatoes. Talking about [once] baked potatoes is relevant because it's a necessary step. Here's the real deal...

Base:    Potatoes (I used 9 small-medium sized Idaho potatoes)
Flavor: A drizzle of oil (~ 1/2 tsp.)
             A dash of salt + 1/4 tsp.
             1/2 tsp. black pepper
             1/2 cup milk (whole, 2%, 1%, whatever you prefer)
             6 1/2 tbsp. butter
             1/2 cup chopped ham
             1/2 tsp. paprika
             1 tsp. parsley flakes
             1 1/2 - 2 cup shredded cheese (I used Mozzarella)
Heat:    Bake

1.Thoroughly wash the potatoes
We are eating the skin, so give 'em a good scrubbin' to rid 'em of unappetizing grime.

2. Dry the potatoes
More than casually, but less than thoroughly is a-okay.

3. Prep the potatoes like we are to make baked potatoes
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (I know earlier I talked about saving aluminum foil without individually wrapping the potatoes, but we'll need this aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet later anyway).
- Spread out the potatoes on the baking sheet.
- Tip: using a fork, pierce each potato multiple times to allow them to breathe (the oven gets steaming hot ya know).
- Drizzle a little oil over the potatoes.
- Throw a dash of salt over the potatoes.
- Gently rub the potatoes to ensure even coating.
     - Tip: use a disposable plastic glove to avoid getting your hand(s) oily.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for ~ 1 hour or until tender (I left them in there for 1 hour and 10 minutes).
* If you only wish to make baked potatoes, thus this is your final step, cook a little longer so they are more tender.


This is why I now like making baked potatoes without wrapping them in aluminum foil: the thin coating of oil and salt gives them a beautiful golden exterior. It also keeps the exterior moisturized and tasty.

4. Prep the potatoes like we are to make potato skins
- Cut each potato in half lenghtwise.
- Trick: shape, dig, and scoop-- using a spoon, make out the shape of the potato from the inside. Then dig into the meat of the potato. Then scoop out the goods (place into a large bowl).
- If there's excess potato meat left inside the potato, scrape it out with the spoon (apply intensive care to avoid breaking the potato).

5. Prep the potato meat like we are to make mashed potatoes (loaded mashed potatoes)
- In the large bowl with the potato meat, add in the milk, butter, salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley flakes.
- Using a potato masher (or a fork), mash the potatoes, and the ingredients into the potatoes (mash longer if you want the potatoes smoother, mash shorter if you want it chunkier).
- Add in the ham and ~ 90% of the cheese.
- Using a spoon or spatula, mix everything together.
- Tip: taste-test the mixture and add additional amounts of the ingredients if necessary (e.g. larger potatoes with more meat might need more salt, milk, butter, etc,).

6. Stuff the naked potato halves
- Liberally: pile spoonful after spoonful of the stuffing and build a mountain.
- Conservatively: give the potato halves a fugal amount of stuffing.
- Adequately: in between liberally and conservatively.
* Extra stuffing can be saved to enjoy mashed potatoes (loaded mashed potatoes-- yum).
- Spread the remaining cheese on top of the prepped potatoes.
- Optional: garnish with black pepper.

7. Bake the filled potatoes
- Pop 'em back into the oven and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese on the top melts and has a little browning on them (the inside of the potatoes will also be ready at this point).
- 15 - 20 minutes is a good time frame to keep in mind.


They should come out looking something like this.

Notes: there are many aspects of this recipe that you as the chef can change according to your personal preferences. For example, feel free to substitute ham for bacon or even green beans if you like. Bacon seems to taste good with everything, but will require more prep work; ham is more convenient and healthier. I usually use Colby Jack cheese when I make this, but since I worked with what I had in my fridge (Mozzarella cheese) I added the paprika and parsley flakes with the intention of giving the potatoes a hint of color. You can also substitute parsley flakes with chopped green onions (I just don't like green onions enough to include them in my twice-baked potatoes). I prepared this recipe according to my personal preferences. Please feel encouraged to adjust any part(s) of this recipe according to your personal preferences-- just don't deviate too much (baking the potatoes for 30 minutes in step 3 will result in very firm potatoes). Whatever you do, just make sure you have fun in the kitchen!

Watch my video and join me in my kitchen where everything is served with love.


♥ Yen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...