Thursday, August 23, 2012

Why You Need to Go to Farmer's Market


I went to the downtown farmer's market in my local area for the very first time the other day. I know, I can't believe it either-- did I really say I went there for the first time just the other day? Yes, sadly, I really just said that. However, it does not mean I've been shielding myself from farmer's market all this time. For the past few years, I've been going to smaller farmer's markets that are located closer to me. They had what I needed, and I was satisfied with the prices, so why not save gas money and avoid the hustle of the downtown bustle? That was my reasoning.

Now, I have opened my eyes, and I see the world beyond itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie farmer's markets. My downtown's farmer's market is like a massive-admission-free-outdoor convention. There are countless stands/booths and 7 out-of 10 of them offer free samples. The booths are very diverse and there are a variety of products being showcased. You will find the common farmer's market offered vegetables, fruits, jam, salsa, bread, etc. You will also find atypical booths: doggie goodies, body art (Henna tattoos), caramel popcorn, garden decor, and more. You will also be able to take a trip around the world by touring international food booths: Thailand, Mexican, Italian, Caribbean, Greek, Middle Eastern, and more. And just like any massive-admission-free-outdoor convention, there are a ton of attendees. Maybe you're already use to this, as this is typical at farmer's markets in a lot of other areas-- I wouldn't know, because I've only been acquainted with itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie farmer's markets until now.

Now let's get to why farmer's market is the way to go: it's awesome. Farmer's market provides fresh produce that beat the prices of grocery stores (almost all the time-- 97% of the time). When I say fresh, this is what I mean: I have never had a real peach until I had a farmer's market peach. There is a BIG difference. Ever since I met a farmer's market peach, I always feel like I am overpaying for grocery store peaches. So fresh produce and good prices. Sold! I guess if you have your own garden, you don't need farmer's market-- you could possibly host your own farmer's market.

The day before I went to the downtown farmer's market, I brought a substantial amount of veggies from the grocery store-- shame on me. So here's all that I got on my recent farmer's market visit:


- 3 big zucchinis for $1.50
- 1 loaf of baguette for $3.00
- 1 bag of caramel popcorn for $4.00

Umm... I think I forgot to mention you don't have to pay taxes on your purchases at farmer's market. Thumbs up to another way of saving money! Happy shopping, and support local first.

♥ Yen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...